Thursday, September 25, 2008

Boquete

Mi Jardin es Tu Jardin

Mi Jardin es Tu Jardin

Quetzal Trail (Sendero Los Quetzales)


Quetzal Trail (Sendero Los Quetzales)

Quetzal Trail (Sendero Los Quetzales)

Quetzal Trail (Sendero Los Quetzales) - cloud forest


Boquete. So pretty. I really enjoyed my time there, rain and all. I went on several walks; through the town, out of town past coffee and banana plantations, and into the cloud forest. I was stopped by local kids on my walk out of town, who wanted me to take their photos, and asked only to see it when it was taken. Their sweet smiles had me glowing on the inside for hours afterwards. We love Kodak moments!


And, I finally got active and decided to walk the Quetzal Trail. Unfortunately I started us on a bad note (or a tiring one at least) with my bad taxi bargaining powers. I was nominated as the official Spanish/English translator (a very bad idea when it involves understanding directions or any important information) which got us dropped off 3km from the start of the trail, at the bottom of an incredibly steep road (which ended up being the hardest 3km of the entire treck) only to save $1. By the time we reached the start of the trail, I would have happily paid at least $5 not to have walked that bastard of a hill and save my energy for the actual Trail.


We saw a fat rodent and were lucky enough to spot some monkeys playing up in the trees. No quetzals though, but I think we were out in the wrong part of the year.


Didn't really give much thought to my broken rib when I set off, but was constantly reminded of it throughout the treck. Had nauseating pain when I had to pull myself up onto the stairs and thought I was going to pass out or vomit. Yay...fun!. The only way I could fill my lungs with oxygen was if I was doubled-over, perpendicular to my legs. The combination of my rib and the altitude (and, yeah...my... ahem...level of fitness) made it slightly more difficult than it really needed to be.


We walked to the lookout, looked out, and saw...clouds (funny that, being a cloud forest and all!) The walk back was a delight, except for having to spend a couple of hours in heavy rain with a "waterproof" jacket that really is not. Arrived back to the hostel and had my first warm shower in ages. Mmmmm...nearly hot!


Visited "Mi Jardin es Tu Jardin". This garden is like something out of Alice in Wonderland. I spoke to one of the guys working there and it turns out that the man who owns the house has a lot of money, loves his garden, and wants to share his joy with as many people as he can. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I felt like I could have skipped over a rainbow when I left his magical land.


Didn't end up going on a tour of a coffee factory, but was just as happy smelling the coffee from the coffee roasting factory as I strolled through the surrounding hills. Sweet, sweet coffee...

No comments: